Pages

Thursday 20 March 2014

Book Review: Imogen's Chance by Paula Vince

By Andrea Grigg

Amazon summary:

Imogen Browne longs to make up for past mistakes before she can move on. She quietly resolves to help the Dorazio family, whose lives she accidentally upset. Her biggest challenge is Asher, the one person who may never forgive her. And he is facing a crisis of his own. Imogen must tread very carefully, as trying to fix things may well make them shatter. A sensitive story about misplaced loyalty, celebrating life and falling in love. Can family secrets concealed with the best intentions bear the light of day?

My Review:

A family reeling from the consequences of an accident fifteen years ago, a young man dealing with a crisis and the effect it has on his girlfriend, and then there’s Imogen.

From the moment I started reading, I was intrigued by Imogen. She has a secret. And I didn’t get to find out what it was until near the end so I had to keep reading. Nice!

I also liked the complexities of the characters. The Dorazio family (and Kaitlyn, Asher’s girlfriend), came across as real people, with a believable amount of conflict and tension between them. I enjoyed how each of them reacted and behaved in their own distinctly different styles.

Cancer is not an easy subject to tackle. In my opinion, Paula has done it well, showing the effects of this insidious disease on friends and family. Despite this, Imogen’s Chance is by no means a depressing or negative story. Asher’s (and Imogen’s) spiritual journey is full of hope as they fight his illness together, and of course, the unfolding of their growing attraction for each other is lovely to watch.

Oh, and the ‘thank you’ notes were a humorous and poignant touch, exactly what I expected from Asher. You’ll understand when you get there J

Imogen’s Chance is another uplifting and enjoyable story by Paula Vince.

Thank you to Paula for a free copy for review.

About Andrea Grigg

Andrea Grigg lives on the Gold Coast, Queensland, and is a writer of contemporary Christian romance. Her first book, A Simple Mistake, was published in April 2012. Recently retired from primary school teaching, Andrea is currently writing her second novel, Too Pretty, which will be published in August 2014. You can find out more at her website (www.andreagrigg.com) and Amazon or connect with her on Facebook or Twitter (@andreagrigg).

17 comments:

  1. Nice review, Andrea. I really enjoyed Imogen's Chance as well. I read an early draft - I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll be quite satisfied, Iola :) Hope you like the cover - I'm a little biased about it of course ...

      Delete
  2. Good review Andrea. I read an ARC of this and my review went up this morning on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale. About to put this on GR too. Nice for Paula to get lots of support before the book is even released.

      Delete
  3. HI Andrea, I enjoyed reading Imogen's Chance too - challenging, inspiring, uplifting. Asher's thank you notes were funny and poignant at same time. I agree, another great book by Paula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanette - I think Imogen's Chance will do well! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this lovely review, Andrea, and thanks to those who have commented too. I appreciate support from ACW members. It is nice to have a few reviews up, while there is still a little over one week to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your readers will really enjoy this one Paula. Glad to have had the opportunity to review it for you.

      Delete
  5. Andrea, thanks for your intriguing review. The story premise sounds really interesting. I'm adding Paula's book to my tbr pile that never seems to get smaller, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And my pile is growing too! Books are awesome. Looking forward to your next one :)

      Delete
  6. I also enjoyed it, Andrea. I tried to put up my review, but Amazon said it wasn't eligible yet as it hadn't been published????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't comment on Amazon, Rita as I'm not putting my review up there, being an EBP author myself. Good Reads and Koorong were fine. Thanks for coming by :)

      Delete
  7. Great review Andrea. And I agree the notes were special and added a great touch. I hope this book does very well. It deserves to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo, and yes, it does. (Glad you liked the notes too).

      Delete
  8. Thanks, ladies. Rita, I think you can add the review on Goodreads, but Amazon will make you wait until April 1st, which is the official publication date.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Paula, I'm looking forward to hosting you on Ink Dots next week.

    Thanks for the review, Andrea. Great to see so many have read and enjoyed Paula's book already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Andrea--and congratulations, Paula! Looks like your next book is off to an excellent start.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.