Pages

Thursday 6 October 2016

Lucy's review of "Where Wildflowers Grow" by Gail Gaymer Martin


Hi! Lucy Thompson here :) with my review of Where Wildflowers Grow by Gail Gaymer Martin.



Genre: Christian contemporary romance.

Falling in love can be wonderful, but for Sandy Fisher and Clay Burdett, it is more like a steep mountain climb. Sandy returns to her hometown concerned about her widowed mother’s health and to heal from her job loss and her broken engagement. Though discouraged, her attitude and determination never falter, and when her car acts up and the only mechanic in town gives her the runaround, she’s determined to win the battle. Clay, scarred by his childhood, left his promising career and moved into the small town to bury emotions and guilt involving the death of his wife. But life continues to be empty, and when he meet’s spunky Sandy who challenges him and awakens his spirit, he faces his wasted life unless he conquers his past. Like opposite poles, Sandy and Clay are drawn together, seeking something deeper and more meaningful than their past choices. Yet they continue to doubt until truth softens their hearts as sand softens clay.”


This book was a quick holiday read for me. I did laugh at a few parts and even teared up once. A great reminder about God’s timing in relationships. I like this quote from the book: “You have to nourish love, work at it”. I liked the wisdom and verses shared throughout the book.

The story tended to lag and I found myself skimming to get to the more important bits of the story. It also could have benefited from a more thorough edit. I found at least five errors—and I don’t consider myself the best proofreader.

I brought this book, but wouldn’t read it again. I’d give this a bare 3 out of 5 stars.
If you like light, holiday reads then this is the book for you.

Bio: Lucy Thompson is a stay-at-home mum to five precocious children by day and a snoop by night, stalking interesting characters through historical Colorado, and writing about their exploits. She enjoys meeting new people from all over the world and learning about the craft of writing. When she can be separated from her laptop, she is a professional time waster on Facebook, a slave to the towering stack of books on her bedside table, and a bottler, preserving fruit the old fashioned way so she can swap recipes and tips with her characters. Her home is in central Queensland, Australia, where she does not ride a kangaroo to the shops, mainly because her children won’t fit. ;) Represented by Chip MacGregorof MacGregor Literary, she is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers, and Romance Writers of America.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Lucy, (Jenny here) I have read some of Gail's LI books and enjoyed them. I like light easy reads at present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny! I believe Gail has written lots of books. :) I think this one could have been a lot better if she'd had a thorough edit. Light reads can be good. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.